The Academy of Medical, Physical and Natural Sciences of Guatemala was established by the San Carlos University of Guatemala on October 15, 1945, as it was recorded in Act 87 of the University Superior Council. It was born in the first year of a decade in which a time of fresh humanistic, social, political and scientific growth began in Guatemala. The Academy was founded with the purpose of favoring the development of scientific research within an ethical framework. One of the justifications for the creation of the Institution explicitly mentions the support to scientific research and the popularization of knowledge produced in diverse areas of Science. Since then, the Academy has been promoting links of cooperation with similar institutions, both nationally and abroad.