The Network of Academies of Science in Countries of the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC) - NASIC, is an autonomous scientific organization, established by Academies of Science in OIC countries in Pakistan in 2004.
Activities in 2006:
- COMSTECH, the Islamic Development Bank (IDB) and NASIC co-sponsored an International Seminar on Strengthening Science in Africa, which was held in Islamabad, Pakistan from 19-20 February 2006. The rationale for the event was that, as the African region represents more than half of the total members of the OIC, it deserves more attention than it usually gets for the socio-economic development of the OIC region. Promotion of science and technology is one of the main building blocks of the much sought-after economic progress that Africa aspires to achieve in the twenty-first century. The event was organized with a view to reach a closer understanding for building Science and Technology capabilities for increased productivity and rapid economic growth.
Twenty guest speakers participated in the seminar from Egypt, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Namibia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tunisia, United Kingdom, Zimbabwe as well as representatives of COMSATS, Islamic Academy of Sciences (IAS), International Foundation for Science (IFS), Key Perspective Ltd, Scidev.net, The Academy of Sciences for the Developing World (TWAS), and United Nations University.
The participants shared their experiences and recommendation of policy guidelines for sustainable development of the African region of OIC. The participants agreed that developmental policies for sustainable growth in science and technology are vital for solving many challenges faced by the OIC member states in the African region. They also emphasized the need to improve the capacity of scientists to communicate their research with peers, policymakers, corporate sector, media, and educational institutions. It was agreed that these recommendations will be submitted to The COMSTECH General Assembly and funding will be requested from partners and international donors.
For more information, contact the NASIC Secretariat at email@example.com.
The Network of the Academies of Sciences of Islamic Countries (NASIC) met 18-20 April 2005 in Islamabad for the first time since the network's creation in 2004. Representatives from 10 academies participated in the meeting as did Pakistan's Minister of Science and Technology. IAP co-sponsored the event. EC co-chair Yves Quéré announced that IAP would provide NASIC with US$50,000 to help launch a series of regional programmatic activities. Participants also agreed to take steps to forge closer ties between NASIC and the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC) Standing Committee on Scientific and Technological Cooperation (COMSTECH). For additional information, contact the IAP secretariat.
NASIC is a non-governmental, non-political and non-profit scientific organization.
The general objective of the Network is to encourage and enhance collaboration and cooperation amongst members of the network and the scientific communities within the OIC countries. In pursuing this objective the Network shall collaborate with other Academies inside and outside the OIC as well as with regional and international organizations concerned with problems in OIC countries.
NASIC plans to:
- Develop collaboration in scientific research between members of the network and the scientific communities on OIC;
- Promote cooperation between Academies in OIC countries by exchanging information on programmes and experiences and sharing common visions;
- Assist in building the capacities of Academies in OIC countries to improve their role as independent expert advisors to governments and to strengthen their national, regional and international functions;
- Assist science communities in OIC Countries to set up national independent Academies where such bodies do not exist;
- Organize conferences, workshops and symposia and issue statements or reports on topics of major concern to OIC countries;
- Assist science communities in OIC Countries to set up national Academies where such bodies do not exist;
- Organize conferences, workshops and symposia and issue statements or reports on topics of major concern to OIC countries.
The Pakistan Academy of Sciences hosts the NASIC Secretariat (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)