IAP is seeking candidates for the 13th IAP Young Physician Leaders (YPL) Programme to be held on 13-15 October 2023 in conjunction with the World Health Summit (WHS) in Berlin, Germany, 15-17 October 2023. The WHS provides a forum within which the YPL will be exposed to an outstanding scientific and policy programme attended by a global group of medical and policy professionals. Previous YPL sessions have been very well received and a directory of alumni along with a series of videos describing the programme are available online.
For more information please see here.
This 2023 annual programme which, once more, will be held in Berlin is articulated in three parts:
- A specific leadership development programme with a focus on analysing models of leadership with the aim of developing an individual action plan for personal leadership growth.
- A visit sponsored by the Bayer Science and Education Foundation to research laboratories in the Berlin area (tbc).
- Participation by the awardees, including presentation of a session, in the World Health Summit.
This IAP programme will have the collaboration of a top level training institute (most recently this has been the European School of Management and Technology, ESMT) and is implemented with the support of the Tides Foundation, the World Health Summit Foundation, and the Bayer Science & Education Foundation.
We are seeking to identify about 20 outstanding Young Physician Leaders under the age of 40 who:
- Are pursuing careers in medical education, clinical leadership, public health, health policy and health services management;
- Show great promise for leadership in their chosen careers;
- Are enthusiastic, with outstanding communication skills and the ability, desire and personality to represent the medical profession well when interacting with the senior professionals from multiple sectors who will be at tending the World Health Summit.
- Are willing, after the Berlin experience, to engage with the wider YPL alumni network, e.g. in developing collaborative projects.
We aim to convene a diverse group with multiple specialties and career interests, including but not exclusive to research, reflecting a diversity of geographic location and economic status of the representative countries. We especially encourage the nomination of women.
Nominations will be accepted from members of the InterAcademy Partnership and the ‘M8 Alliance’ of academic centres. Each organization can nominate a maximum of two eligible physicians below the age of 40.
The deadline for nominations is 30 June 2023. For your nominations, kindly use the online form here.
A committee of medical and scientific professionals appointed by the IAP Board will review the applications and select the candidates who best fit the criteria outlined above. Successful candidates will be contacted in August 2023 with further details, precise dates and administrative procedures.
Successful candidates will have their local accommodation and meal costs covered and WHS registration will be waived. Participants from low- and middle-income countries will be provided with partial travel support to Berlin, if required. The travel to Berlin of accepted nominees from high-income countries is expected to be covered by the nominating academy/M8 Alliance member.