The InterAcademy Partnership (IAP) is seeking candidates for the 10th IAP Young Physician Leaders (YPL) Programme to be held on 22-26 October 2021 in conjunction with the World Health Summit in Berlin, Germany, 24-26 October 2021. The previous nine sessions were very well received and a directory of alumni along with a series of videos describing the programme are available online. For more information on previous YPL events please see: https://www.interacademies.org/project/young-physician-leaders-ypl.
The global pandemic that struck our societies in 2020 meant that the annual session was postponed to 2021 as was the planned 10th anniversary celebration. We hope that by October 2021 the situation will be such that we will be able to organize the sessions as previously, however we do intend to arrange for any last minute changes that may lead us to hold an online or a hybrid event.
This year’s programme is articulated in three parts:
- A specific leadership development programme with a focus on analysing models of leadership with the aim of developing an individual action plan for personal leadership growth.
- A visit to research foundations in the Berlin area.
- Participation by the awardees in the events of the World Health Summit, a forum within which the YPL will be exposed to an outstanding scientific and policy programme attended by a global group of medical and policy professionals.
This IAP programme will once more have the collaboration of the European School of Management and Technology (ESMT) with the support of the Tides Foundation, the Charité, Universitätsmedizin Berlin and the Bayer Foundation.
We are seeking to identify up to 20 outstanding Young Physician Leaders under the age of 40 who:
- Are pursuing careers in medical education, clinical leadership, public health, health policy and health services management;
- Show great promise for leadership in their chosen careers;
- Are enthusiastic, with outstanding communication skills and the ability, desire and personality to represent the medical profession well when interacting with the senior professionals from multiple sectors who will be at tending the World Health Summit.
- Are willing, after the Berlin experience to engage with the wider YPL network, e.g. in developing collaborative projects.
We aim to convene a diverse group with multiple specialties and career interests, including but not exclusive to research, reflecting a diversity of geographic location and economic status of the representative countries. We especially encourage the nomination of women.
Nominations will be accepted from members of the InterAcademy Partnership (IAP) and the ‘M8 Alliance’ of Academic centres. Each organization can nominate a maximum of two eligible physicians below the age of 40.
For your nominations, kindly use the online form here: https://www.interacademies.org/form/young-physician-leaders.
Deadline for nominations is 30 June 2021.
A committee of medical and scientific professionals appointed by the IAP Executive Committee will review all applications and select the candidates who best fit the criteria outlined above. Successful candidates will be contacted the in early August 2021 with further details, precise dates and procedures.
Successful candidates will have their local accommodation and meal costs covered and WHS registration will be waived. Participants from low and middle income countries will be provided with partial travel support if required. The travel to Berlin of accepted nominees from high-income countries is expected to be covered by the nominating academy/M8 Alliance member.