We are delighted to share the positive outcomes of the recent IAP side-event at COP28, held on 9 December 2023. The session "The Role of Academies in Climate Policy Advice" was dedicated to exploring the indispensable role of national academies in the collaborative effort to provide impactful climate change policy advice to governments worldwide. Resulting from a collaboration with the New Voices program of the National Academy of Sciences (US), the event proved to be a resounding success, attracting an engaged audience of 60-70 participants who actively contributed to the vibrant discussions.
Revisit the Session:
For those who missed the event or wish to relive the insightful discussions, the recorded session is now available below and on the COP28 YouTube channel here.
A few snapshots from the event have been attached to this article, offering a glimpse of the collaborative spirit that defined the session:
- Jovana Milic, Member, Global Young Academy; Swiss Young Network for Science Policy and Diplomacy
- Martijn Pakker, Head of Strategic Relations and Activities, Institute for European Environmental Policy
- Hussam Hussein, Executive Director of Partnerships for Development, Royal Scientific Society Jordan
- Hussam Mahmoud, Chair, New Voices, U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine
- Gillian Bowser, Youth Environmental Alliance in Higher Education Network
- Sébastien Treyer, Executive Director, Institute for Sustainable Development and International Relations
- Moderator: Ourania (Rania) Kosti, Executive Director, InterAcademy Partnership (IAP), Washington DC Secretariat Office
Once again, the IAP extends a big thank you to everyone involved. We look forward to continuing these vital efforts to provide impactful climate change policy advice to governments worldwide.